SUSAN J. OWENS: SUMMARY
I’m Susan Owens, a freelance technical writer and social media specialist focused on creating content that engages, educates and delights readers. My strength is to transform dry, complex facts, technical jargon and statistics into compelling stories that clarify and inform. I’d love to work with you to help you bring more clarity to your business communications.
For over 20 years, I’ve been helping Fortune 100 and 5000 businesses establish strategic authority through white papers, case histories, blogging, product data sheets, and business plans and proposals. When the client believes they have nothing new to tell, I find a fresh, innovative insight that helps them extend their reach on the web.
In addition to writing content, I also establish and manage websites to ensure SEO is optimized organically, by helping my clients engage in a dialogue with their audiences. I use social media to build excitement, establish credibility and manage perceptions with analysts, investors and potential customers. Click here to see my online portfolio with links to writing samples.
In addition, I have created and implemented public relations strategies for software distribution and manufacturing industries for companies that include Sterling Commerce, GenCorp, and Huffy Bicycles. These programs included coordinating tours for industry analysts and editors at PC Week, Red Herring, and Gartner Group. My media placements include Information Week, National Public Accountant, Columbus Monthly and the American Quality Foundation.
For the past seven years, I have built a web presence that generates over 22,000 monthly readers, earning sponsorships from Disney, LG, Kelloggs, GE, Gatorade, ABC, EA Sports Active, Newman’s Own and V8. Many of her posts have been featured on LifeHacker, TipNut, Apartment Therapy, Rookie Moms, Stroller Derby, and Blog Nosh.
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, English, The Ohio State University
STRATEGIC MARKETING PROJECTS
- 2013- Present: Writer/Social Media for Stef’s Celebrate Life Tailgate, benefiting The James Cancer Research Center. Develop online content for website, videos, working closely with OSU to ensure key message points are clearly communicated to include latest advancements in research.
- 2014: Initiated a social media audit and created a social media program for theAcademy of Medicine of Cincinnati. Developed Twitter and Facebook profiles, established followers as well as created update prompts for client.
- 2011-Present: Feature writer for Discovering Ohio.
- 2014: Business Plan for revitalization efforts for Williamsburg, NY
- 2012-2013: Wrote a series of customer success stories for Accelerated Benefits, with message points that exemplified the client’s bottom line. Stories will be used to build company’s blog and social media strategy.
- 2010-2011: Created social media strategy for EasyIT, developing partnerships with customers to cross-promote customer success stories, and master plan to develop an on-line social media campaign designed to attract quality employees and customers.
- 2005 – Present: Life blogger at com. Owner, writer and photographer. 20,000 monthly visitors, co-developed social media campaigns with Fortune 500-1000 companies, including Coke-A-Cola, Disney, GE, and Uniliver. Posts are featured on Life Hacker, Tip Nut, Apartment Therapy, Rookie Moms, Stroller Derby, and Blog Nosh.
- 1995-2001: Created and managed a national media relations strategy and, media tour to introduce Sterling CommerceGentran product to Gartner’s Magic Quadrant, Forrester, EMA, and trade writers at Red Herring, Information Week. Case histories include,
- 1992-1993: Developed an industrial media relations program for GenCorpby creating and building a customer success story process, used for promotional materials, and the baseline for pitches to trade media.
- 1989-1992: Spearheaded a media relations campaign to introduce Huffy’s $8,000 bike, The Triton. Resulted in placements in Fortune, Robb Report, PB, and M Magazine.
- 1992: Developed public relations campaign targeting direct placement to promote a new CPA software product, CPAiad. Developed highly-technical in-depth researched articles and white papers on the state of the industry, and CPAid’s contribution to the field. Resulted in placing byline article by the company president in trade publication, National Public Accountant.
- 1989 – 1992: Developed trade media relations program for Hobart, Inc., writing customer success stories, and placing byline article in the Welding Journal.
- 2009 –2011 Suburban News Publication, columnist, 290,000 readers.
- 2010, 2009: Byline articles placed in Columbus Monthly. October 2009, Mom Blogging, and August, 2010, Alex Pratt
- 1995: Byline article placed in National Association of Professional Insurance Agents, Heart of Your Credibility
Education: Bachelor of Arts, The Ohio State University.
Lancaster Pollard Disparate Impact http://www.lancasterpollard./NewsDetail/tci-hsg-disparate-impact
SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGNS
Stories written for client, and then promoted through social media outlets:
- 2013: Got Milk for quick breakfasts. 2011: Created promotional copy and social media strategy to promote Degree’s new Get In the Move Challenge.
- 2012: The Tootsie Roll Campaign: How Many Licks Does it Take?
- 2012:Cedar Fair: How daring are you when it comes to roller coasters?
2012: Microsoft Office for Back to School.
- 2011: Bodycology’s new line of skin care products.
- 2011: Gatorade’s educational campaign to teach families and kid-athletes about the importance of hydration.
- 2011: Country Crock’snew emphasis on the USDA’s new dietary guidelines.
- 2011:Coca-Cola’s initiative to raise $100,000 for America’s Parks.
- 2011: Green Mountain Coffee’s Fair Trade Initiative.
- 2010: Pre-launch publicity for ABC‘s No Ordinary Family.
- 2010: Educate consumers about AEP‘s SmartGrid.
- 2010: Promotion to introduce new line of kid’s menus for Chef BoyArdee
- 2010: Pre-launch promotion of the movie, Secreteriat for Disney
- 2010: V8product launch.
- 2010: Gaggle of Chicks‘s new on-line discount service.
- 2010: Newman’s Own‘s new organic frozen meals.
- 2010: Six-week campaign designed to educate families on the importance of breakfast for Kelloggs
- 2010: Educational resources on the dangers of sexting and safe texting for teens for LG
- 2009: New product for Maramour Chocolates
- 2008: Created message points and story to help school students struggling in math and promote Brainetics.
- 2008-2010: Created on-ongoing promotions for Minted‘s Christmas card designs.
- 2008: Promote movies for Special Ops Media
- 2008: On-line launch of Vincent Shoes
- 2008: Created on-line video to promote the Incredible Egg.